Uncertain T

Built by: Chuck Darnell in Quincy, Illinois

I never had an opportunity to purchase the Monogram UNCERTAIN-T in my youth . While surfing the net looking for a mint, unbuilt Uncertain-T, I ran across an auction of 12 buildups, one of which was the Uncertain-T . When the box finally arrived , I started carefully removing all the contents of buildups and started sorting through the box of parts that came with the models. No instructions, no kit boxes, just handfuls of small parts, chrome, wheels, broken parts ect... After many attempts to score a set of instructions, I decided to move forward with the project and attempt to build it without them.

Once I decided that I had the majority of the parts, I started surgically disassembling the model, being as careful as possible as not to destroy any of the precious '60's vintage parts. Once things were disassembled, it was in to "Lake Castrol" with the painted parts and some of the chrome too. Then , I realized the "key" pushbar wasn't there and an ill feeling fell over me.......AARRGH!!!!! It was back to the box of parts to look for my grail, but it was with no avail. While the body parts were soaking , I decided to look at the other "treasures" in the box and it was then when I gazed in the interior pan of one of buildup and ........ SCORE!!!!!!! I found the key!

The T was a mess, but after all the years of surviving in a box of buildups, I couldn't stand to see this "orphan" without a good home. After a little body work, few coats of primer, and a little sanding , it was ready for a basecoat of Tamiya Gold. Once the basecoat was dried , I brought out the HOUSE OF KOLORS- KANDY TANGERINE Acrylic Lacquer and started applying 8 coats (or was it 10?) of the Kandy which was thinned 200% with PPG - DT870.

Once the Kandy had flashed I sprayed PLASTICOTE T-5 CLEAR into an airbrush jar . After spraying 6 modest coats of clear , I allowed the body and other components to dry before bringing out the polish kit.. The glass had glue spots everywhere and the headlamp lenses were missing, so it was time for replacement . I found an orange colored essay jacket in my desk and cut the windshield from a pattern that I had made from paper. The headlamps were made by using a paper punch . I know this old model isn't a beauty queen, but I felt the need to preserve a piece of modeling history it to the best of my ability and give it a respectable resting place where it can be noticed and enjoyed for many years to come.



Show Rod Rally Home Page | Gallery List